The effectiveness of a speech highly depends on the effectiveness of the speaker. There are several keynote speakers out there who are highly competitive among each other. Of course, they want to be selected by the clients so they have to be the best.This should be your case as well!
While there isn’t exactly one best speaker out there, since each speaker has his or her own style and characteristics, there are still some who are effective and some who are not. Always remember that delivering a keynote speech does not necessarily make you an effective keynote speaker. An effective keynote speaker delivers the best keynote speech. For you to be an effective keynote speaker, you must be able to get your audience’s interest and make them believe to what you are saying. You should also stick with the purpose of your speech. For instance, if you need to give a motivational keynote speech, then you should be able to motivate your audience to do something based on what you talked about in your speech.
Listed below are some tips that you can consider if you want to improve your skills and to become an effective speaker.
1. Put the purpose of the event first. This means that you should deliver your speech based on the theme and the purpose of the event and not just because you want to sell yourself. The client hired you to do the speech because they want you to talk about a particular topic and not about yourself, so you have to stick with that. Remember that a good keynote speech should be moving and interesting to the audience. It should also be memorable to them. After all, what is the essence of your speech if your audience will just forget about it eventually?
2. You have to know how to deal with your audience. An effective keynote speaker—or an effective speaker in general—knows his audience very well. As a matter of fact, knowing the audience is one of the most important things that a speaker or a communicator must do before dealing with them. (This is why doing a preliminary research about the audience is helpful.) Once you have already established rapport as well as credibility with your audience—and once you have already gained their attention—then you are now on the right track.
3. Spice up your presentation with entertainment. An entertaining presentation is what people always want, regardless what the subject matter is. Therefore, if you really want to grab the interest of your audience, you should be able to entertain them. You can add in humor, since it is believed to be the “lubricant” of good and effective speeches. All types of audience always appreciate a good humor. However, the level of entertainment that you would include in your presentation will still depend on the event that you are a part of as well as the audience that you will talk to. Some humorous things can be funny to you but not to your audience. This is why you should first accomplish the first two points given here.
4. Personalize your talk. One of the best ways to connect with your audience is by making them realize that your speech is for them. Your audience would not appreciate your speech if they do not feel a connection with what you are talking about. Therefore, in order for you to build connections with your audience, you should personalize you’re your speech. Include some real life experiences, some personal emotions, and lessons to make your audience appreciate your speech even more.
5. Add in a call to action to your presentation. Again, one of the main purposes of a keynote speech is to encourage your audience to act upon something. Therefore, you should be able to make it clear to your audience what they need to do—i.e. the “call to action” element—on your presentation to make them better understand your purpose.
An effective keynote speaker—or an effective speaker in general—knows his audience very well. As explained under motivational-speaker-success.com.